Sunday, February 24, 2013

Stop My Stash

I haven't done one of these posts on the blog yet, but the idea is immensely appealing. It's so easy to keep using the same few products or get fixated on the newest, shiniest thing, while neglecting a whole heap of makeup purchased a while ago that's just sitting there taking up space. There's nothing particularly wrong with these unloved items — they've just been consistently overlooked for options I favour more. Unearthing them has reminded me I really should inject some variety in my product selection.




Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow in Coffee Bean (02)
Seriously good palette. It contains some of the best "drugstore" mattes I've encountered. Sophisticated, really wearable and versatile shades. You could use the same four colours for a whole range of looks to take you from day to night, from subtle contouring to the dramatic and smoky. I used the second colour on my lid here with the Essence Hidden in Sakura Garden false eyelashes.


Models Prefer Eyeshadow in Famous
I rarely stray from neutrals, but the blue in this quad used to be on relatively high rotation when I first started to wear eyeshadow regularly. I also like the third colour, a complex and gorgeous pinkish/purplish brown. I don't touch the first two shades, but this palette overall has amazing pigmentation. The shadows have a unique spongy texture that can be a little crumbly, but give off vibrant colour payoff with a metallic finish.





L'Oréal Infallible eyeshadow in Bronzed Goddess (024) and Metallic Lilac (037)
I have eight of these Infallible eyeshadows but barely use them most of the time. Sahara Treasure was a colour I desperately searched for, but once I tracked it down and tried it on, I found that it really didn't flatter me, even though I loved the colour on its own. I do use Bronzed Taupe and Endless Chocolat more often than the rest, but don't see myself reaching for Hourglass Beige or Flashback Silver pretty much ever. Burning Black is too dark for anything but smoky, nighttime looks. That leaves Bronzed Goddess and Metallic Lilac.

Bronzed Goddess is passable as an all-over lid colour, but it leans very greenish gold on me, to the extent that I can't really detect any brown/bronze as its name would suggest. Metallic Lilac is a little too cool and silvery for my yellow skin tone, but fares better applied just to the lower lash line. I have such a love/hate relationship with the L'Oréal Infallible eyeshadows. They're undoubtedly excellent quality in terms of texture, pigmentation, vibrancy and staying power, but I frequently struggle to make them work for me.

l-r: Third and fourth colour from Models Prefer Famous, L'Oréal Bronze Goddress, L'Oréal Metallic Lilac




l-r: e.l.f. Pink Passion, Essence Prima Ballerina Blush Soufflé 

e.l.f. Blush in Pink Passion
This is so shockingly bright that I find myself deterred from using it. I've always preferred my blushes to not be super pigmented (in contrast to my eyeshadows) because of the extra difficulty in applying a strong colour lightly, and the fear of overdoing it. Pink Passion is surprisingly wearable (dare I say, even natural?) once that mental hurdle is overcome. Works best with the Real Techniques Blush Brush, as the tapered end and fluffiness allow for greater precision and blending.

Essence Blush Soufflé in Prima Ballerina
I forget how nice this is. It's very light and has a whipped texture which is airy and silky. It almost instantly dries on the skin once applied to a powder finish. It gives an angelic, soft pink flush to the cheeks, and while pale in colour, can be built up in intensity. My only gripe is that its staying power leaves much to be desired, but the small pot is convenient to keep in the handbag for touchups once it's faded.

60 comments:

  1. those are soooo gorgeous!! especially the ELF blush, im just obsessed with the shade! i bet it looks amazing with your skin-tone even though you don't like too pigmented blushes :)

    and i can totally relate with you about neglecting your old make-up once you purchased a new one, i did it alot of times, it's such a bad habit of mine. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Models Prefer eyeshadow is so gorgeous! The Essence blus is lovely too!
    You've done a great swatch :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Pink Passion. It's like a "barbie" pink that gives me a bit of a dolly look. The Revlon Coffee Bean quad seems seriously impressive. The colors are perfect. I haven't tried Revlon eyeshadows in ages. I was so disappointed by their singles that I kind of wrote them off xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that ELF blush in Pink Passion! I love it, but it is super pigmented so I have to use a light hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blush looks so pretty!

    ♥ annemie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of everything you featured here. I know what you mean about the L'Oreal Infallibles - it's like I love the colours in theory, but not on me?
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esence's blush and Loreal's Metallic Lilac is so pretty! You should post FOTDs using these! :) xo

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shopping my stash too! I have a "current" box (I did literally write "current" on it lol) where I put aside a few different products to use for a period of time (maybe around 2 to 3 weeks) then I rotate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That essence blush looks so nice, as does that Revlon palette :)
    I don't shop my stash enough :/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay to Pink Passion. Sometimes I just like to tap my blush brush onto a tissue (lightly!) to get rid of any excess powder. As long as I stipple it in, it actually looks really natural one me ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the Coffee Bean palette, and I agree, it's such a good palette! Great idea this stop my stash.. Mind if I do one of my own? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not, this is hardly my original idea :p Would love to read yours :)

      Delete
  12. I love these shop my stash posts, a great way to pull some stars from your collection back out into the limelight. That Revlon quad looks marvellous, I've never taken a second look at any of them because I am not a fan of the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great rediscovering products you use to love but have neglected because you have bought something else that is new! The L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows look gorgeous swatched, but I can definitely see how they won't work with a yellow based (asian) skintone. The Coffee Bean palette is beautiful, I absolutely love neutrals and this would be a palette I would enjoy using- great for everyday looks too. Elf Pink Passion looks shocking, I don't think I would ever purchase a blush that bright but glad to hear it looks somewhat natural when applied :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this kind of post! it is always nice to re discover things we love but kinda forgotten..
    the revlon eye shadow palette looks soooo nice! since I am now in Indonesia, and Revlon is available with decent price tag, I'll take a look at this palette on my next trip to Revlon counter! hopefully they are stocked up on this palette :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for more posts like this! This really motivates me to try and "shop" my own collection and not get sucked in by "shiny new things" hehe It is really easy to neglect other products when we're constantly looking for the next best thing, even though we thought we already had it. Makeup affairs are as fleeting as Summer is and an HG item of today could easily end up in the "don't use this anymore" drawer : /

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have that models prefer palette & the essence blush souffle too, I hate how crumbly the eyeshadow feels! I should try it again, though. And the blush is such a pretty light pink, I always layer with a powder on top though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The elf blush looks amazing such a bright pink would look good on so going to be investing in this great post !! xx

    http://krystelcouture.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've that ELF blush too, I think it's a bit too much but it's a pretty colour and really pigmented but yet I've neglected it too lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Revlon palette, it is just so versatile that it can be used for day or night looks. And i love the Prima Ballerina Blush Soufflé too because it looks so natural. I hope it is also available here in the Philippines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the idea of the L'Oréal infallible eye shadows but I almost never wear the two that I own. I tried to wear the gold one only once and I had so much fall out! I looked like a sparkly fairy -_-. I should shop my stash more though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Revlon palette is very pretty. I love ELF blushes. I find them more pigmented than most of my higher end blushes. Just too bad we don't have them in Canada and their shipping cost is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Revlon palette is so pretty, as is the Essence blush - I really wish we had Essence in the UK! x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That Revlon quad looks pretty amazing! Metallic Lilac looks pretty cool too, I like the little pink flecks in there. I'm quite afraid of cream blushes, but the Essence blush looks very nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohhh I love Pink Passion, definitely worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, the last two colors you swatched from that Models Prefer palette are GORGEOUS!!
    I've never done a shop my stash post but maybe I should as I switch my products out every month to make sure I show all of my makeup the love they deserve! :)

    Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like that Revlon eyeshadow palette... there are some gorgeous browns in there! And that Essence blush is very soft and pretty too! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Revlon pallette looks very good. I love brown eyeshadows!

    MyMakeUpCompulsion

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Revlon quad looks so pretty!
    and I love the look of Pink Passion :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That prima ballerina blush souffle is really gorgeous, who knew? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Revlon shadows are Perfect!

    Http://styleloveandsushi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. That revlon palette looks nice.. Ive got one but a different shade and the shadows are not at all pigmented like these x

    ReplyDelete
  32. love the Revlon palette! x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. These products all look so nice! Where do you take your pictures because you seriously have such professional looking pictures!

    http://ahemitsemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that! I don't take them anywhere special, just by the window basically to get as much natural daylight as possible :) Usually against a white piece of paper as well for greater contrast and to isolate the object from the background.

      Delete
  34. I have not had good experiences with Revlon eyeshadows but your swatches are so gorgeous!! I'm tempted to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great!!!
    Would you like to follow each other?!

    xoxo

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt
    http://www.facebook.com/estilohedonico

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the sweet comment! :) I only wear natural looking shades..if its too bright, I wouldn't wear it out!

    ReplyDelete
  37. By the way, I like the swatches you posted on the revlon palette! I want to get that :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. SO MANY BEAUTIFUL PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!! and nice blog babe.
    Visit mine when u have time!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  39. the Essence blush looks super lovely ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hello dear :) nice blog and lovely products! now follow you with pleasure and if you're passing by me ;)

    http://teanonsolomoda.blogspot.it/

    Kiss Tea.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm obsessed with pink passion blush, I just can't stop using it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That revlon palate has some beautiful swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Well starting with Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow is one of my products in my wishlist because they really are wonderful. Maybe buy in other colors but definitely buy it. E.L.F. Blush is one that is on my wishlist because all the reviews I've seen on these blushes of this brand are sensational.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  44. I shied away from hot pink blush before, but after trying out NYX Pinky I found this color to be quite flattering :) I should try the ELF version once my NYX hits pan (probably never, but we'll see).

    xoxo

    Jenny @ Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think I need to start shopping my stash too! Metallic Lilac is so pretty, it's a shame it doesn't flatter your skintone :( I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  46. love the revlon palette. totally new for me.
    i have elf pink passion and i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Your description of the Revlon quad is very Lisa Eldridge-esque! I was on a Lisa Eldridge kick the other day and heard the words 'amazing technology' and 'really sophisticated, wearable shades' quite a few times. It looks gorgeous- like a simplified UD Naked Basics palette. I was contemplating putting up a Shopping The Stash post a couple of weeks ago but didn't bother. I love yours though! The blush souffle looks so pretty and understated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I wouldn't be surprised if I subconsciously picked up some of her vocab. The beauty blogsophere does tend to repeat certain phrases and has its own jargon (I mean "fall out"? Is that even a word) which you can't help but use to describe things. Buildable. Pigmentation. Smooth, buttery. :p

      Yeah, the Revlon quad did remind me a bit of the UD Naked Basics. Not that I was going to rush out to buy it, but I feel like I have a pretty decent substitute in Coffee Bean so I don't need to :)

      Delete
  48. totally loving the colours, they are so much fun and very pigmented! i'm all over than candy pink xo
    would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a beautiful Revlon quad! And everyone must have a love hate relationship with a product one time or another.

    www.chochalistas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this post, thanks for the swatches!!

    Greetings from Shirayuki's Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love shop my stash posts, it's always nice to share items in your collection which have been overlooked.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...